NIPT - Non-Invasive Prenatal Testing
Simple and non-invasive blood tests will tell you more about your baby health than ever before.
NIPT screens for the most common chromosomal disorders:
• Trisomy 21 (Down syndrome)
• Trisomy 18 (Edwards syndrome)
• Trisomy 13 (Patau syndrome)
NIPT also detects your baby’s Rh blood type and gender. Get tested today for only $999 (Includes personal face to face consultation with Certified Genetic Counselor because with NovaMed you are never alone!)
NIPT is a prenatal screening, which looks at DNA from your baby's placenta in a sample of your blood to identify whether you’re at increased risk of giving birth to a child with a genetic disorder. A screening like NIPT cannot, however, determine for sure whether your baby actually has a chromosomal disorder, only the likelihood of having that condition. But even though it can’t tell for sure whether your baby has a genetic abnormality, it is highly accurate — 97 to 99 percent accuracy for three of the most common conditions, according to a recent study.
- Provides information about the health status of the pregnancy earlier
- Enables parents to better prepare for baby’s arrival
- Enables tailored care planning for mother and baby
- Reduces the number of unnecessary invasive diagnostic procedures (e.g., chorionic villus sampling (CVS) and amniocentesis)
- Detects conditions that other tests can’t, including molar pregnancy, triploidy, and vanishing twin which can impact the accuracy of other NIPT options
- Offers the highest published accuracy in determining the baby’s gender
- Facilitates more proactive, confident decision making
- Makes prenatal testing within reach of all Canadians, not just those in the high-risk category